Monday, February 16, 2015

First OK Winter Storm

Well, we have experienced our first Oklahoma Winter Storm.  It started Sunday evening with freezing rain and changed to snow in the middle of the night!  We woke up to about 3 inches!  
The boys were so excited.  Unfortunately Ben also woke up with a 101 temp and it quickly rose to 105.  But Will and Wyatt got to play in it!!

We didn't go anywhere all day but I was hearing how the roads were...icy, snowy, black ice, terrible.  I don't know why but I didn't really believe it could be that bad.  This evening I had to drive the boys into the rink for hockey practice.  All I can say is WOW...they really do not treat the roads here! The highways were fine but when you came to a bridge overpass it was completely full of snow. We saw 8 accidents in a 10 mile drive.  I don't think I have ever seen that many in my life in that short of a distance. 

And, the snow plows are so tiny!  
The back part that holds the sand is so small!  And they drive about 10 MPH, which I guess is safer than the speed Demon's in MN!  

I am sure when I blasted past cars they thought I was some crazy lady driving a minivan until they looked at my MN license plates!  Yes...I know...I need to get OK license plates. But come on people, you can drive in this stuff!!!

To top it off schools are closed tomorrow!  Even though the temp will be 48 degrees. The reason is, "the roads are unsafe to transport students"...okay...!  In this would just be a normal winter day!

We are enjoying our experiences here, we chuckle at these little things but I am sure if we ever move back to MN we will not know what to do!  But for now, we are still Minnesotans at heart and can drive in a couple inches of snow and ice!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment